Associate Manager - Lead Engineering GeneralistBay City, Michigan Job ID 16050 Apply
Candidate will be responsible for engineering support to large capital project teams in addition to managing capital projects ranging up to $1MM. In this role, the candidate will also lead manufacturing operational improvement efforts to improve machinery efficiencies and reliability through improved machine design features.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The position reports directly to the Director of Engineering and is primarily accountable for:
- Providing engineering support to large capital project teams including spec writing of required equipment, equipment sizing, producing engineering calculations when necessary, assist with cost estimates, obtain vendor quotes, assist with P&ID generation, assist with installation/startup.
- Providing support to the manufacturing plants to improve safety, manufacturing efficiencies, product quality, resin yield, equipment reliability and product cost.
- Utilizing problem solving tools to define issues and eliminate their root causes
- Investigates, drives, and assists on projects involving cost saving, process optimization, productivity improvements and replacing obsolete equipment related to existing processes.
- Managing capital projects and budgets from concept through start-up on project up to $1MM. Leading the preparation of the charter, execution plan, capital funding request, specifications, control logic, instrumentation list, equipment list, flow charts, P&ID’s, engineering calculations and procedures for new and modified production lines and processes, utilizing Early Management tools and methodology and following the Engineering Work Process.
- Estimating and analyzing the costs and benefits of various options and presenting them in a concise manner.
- Serve as the manufacturing liaison on project teams, providing mechanical engineering support and guidance to integrate the project into the manufacturing plant
- Assuring compliance of company global standards and regulations that may apply.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
The individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading Engineering Projects and manufacturing support in a TPM environment.
- Experience with capital project/equipment installation management.
- Experience in contractor and vendor management.
- Capital Project Management - Develops project scope, cost estimate and schedule. Communicates progress and any changes to upper management. Completes projects on time and within budget.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Experience with plastic extrusion, film making, web handling
- PSM (Process Safety Management) experience.
- SAP, Microsoft Project
- Experience with problem solving tools such as 4M, 5 Why, Kaizens, FMECA’s etc.
- Communication - Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities, sets goals and objectives. Must have ability to prioritize and execute numerous simultaneous projects and support activities.
- Machine Design – Creates concepts, works with a mechanical designer to detail the concept, prototype it and implement it across multiple manufacturing lines. CAD experience required, AutoCAD/Inventor preferred
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical engineering drawings
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities which fosters group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Continuous Improvement – Knowledge and experience in TPM, Early Management methodology and Lean Manufacturing.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner using the appropriate methodologies.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking, creativity and resourcefulness which generate innovative approaches and ideas.
- Leadership – Can effectively manage a project and changes through a team to deliver results through others, keeping the team engaged, energized and committed.
- Interpersonal Skills – Builds constructive and effective relationships.
- MS Office Applications.
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.