Associate Manager, Safety, Health and EnvironmentBay City, Michigan Job ID 14668 Apply
The SHE Associate Manager leads site-level deployment of SC Johnson’s Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) management practices to ensure compliance with local legal requirements and SCJ global standards. The role will work closely with the site and regional SHE managers to align SC Johnson’s overall safety, health and environmental strategies with site-level targets and objectives. This role also provides technical and strategic leadership to ensure site-wide processes are effectively deployed and maintained. While this role requires safety, health and environmental technical knowledge and experience, success is equally dependent on developing and supporting “champions” within the site to drive day-to-day ownership for SHE.
SC Johnson is a fifth-generation family company built on a spirit of adventure and winning the right way. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building top brands such as Raid®, Glade®, Kiwi®, OFF!®, Windex®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country. Through these household names, we are making a positive difference to the world around us. But we only succeed with the combined vitality and strength of our 13,000 people who we truly value and support in their pursuit of individual and shared goals.
SC Johnson’s total compensation packages are at or above industry levels. In addition to salary, total packages may include bonuses, long-term incentives, matching 401(k) contributions and profit sharing based on company profitability, job level and years of service. As a family company, we’re committed to providing benefits such as subsidized health care plans, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, flexible work arrangements, vacation purchase options, recreation and fitness centers, childcare, counseling services and more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as a part of a matrix organization and involves frequent interaction with site, regional and global supply chain leaders to review progress on established objectives and review opportunities for continued success.
- Leads SHE compliance assurance processes, such as compliance calendars and leader standard work, to enable compliance with applicable laws, permit authorizations and company standards.
- Develops internal audit processes, including SHE-related GEMBA and behavior observations, that proactively identify potential SHE non-conformances.
- Partners with assigned stakeholders to drive timely, effective closure of identified SHE-related corrective and preventive actions.
- Coordinates completion of risk assessments such as Dust Hazard Analyses.
- Collaborates with the site’s engineering and maintenance teams to ensure that inspections, testing, preventive maintenance activities associated with SHE-critical equipment and applicable high-hazard chemical processes are defined and appropriately documented.
- Provides subject matter expertise to support periodic external regulatory inspections associated with safety, health, environmental and/or fire protection matters.
- Champions the investigation of safety, health and environmental incidents and ensures that corrective and preventive actions that address root causes are effectively deployed across the site.
- Leads the development and maintenance of training processes to ensure that required safety, health and environmental training for the site is defined, addresses required content and is tracked to completion.
- Serves as a SHE representative for Management of Change (MOC) reviews to evaluate and control potential health and safety hazards and environmental impacts associated with business activity changes.
- Verifies the accuracy of data in the company’s SHE database (e.g., Entropy) and analyzes the data to identify loss trends that can contribute to injuries and illnesses, adverse environmental impacts and SHE process non-conformances.
- Champions the deployment of employee-driven safety and environmental teams and facilitates technical support for team activities that promote a safe, healthy and environmentally responsible workplace.
- Partners with operations, human resources and medical teams to effectively manage return-to-work programs for work-related injuries and illnesses.
- Provides input on site-level SHE goals and budgets.
- Provides supervision to site-level SHE analysts and technicians
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree from an academic university in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Science, Engineering or related discipline
- 6+ years of progressively increasing SHE leadership responsibility in a global manufacturing organization
- Minimum of one year of experience in driving day-to-day ownership of SHE processes to non-SHE program “champions”
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Experience in high-hazard chemical process safety management (PSM) such as the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration PSM standard or European Seveso Directive.
- Advanced degree Occupational Safety, Environmental Science or related discipline
- Designation as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) or country equivalent
- Experience leading teams/managing others
- Ability to interact with others, establishing open, candid and trusting relationships to create win/win outcomes
- Effective communication skills that permit the clear and concise transfer of information to stakeholders
- Project management experience to enable prioritization and management of multiple projects to completion
- Full-time core office hours with expectation to be available for occasional nights/weekends
- Up to 10% domestic travel may be required
- Work in an office environment will be approximately 50% of time
- Work in a manufacturing environment will be approximately 50% of time
Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice as assigned by the Manager. The job description does not constitute a contract of employment and the position remains at-will.
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.