Manager, Product Development R&DBay City, Michigan Job ID 11525 Apply
- The primary responsibility of the Manager Base RD&E, Home Storage is to lead and manage the innovation portfolio of over 60% of the global Ziploc business. Portfolio must deliver superior solutions that advance our sustainability commitments and drive global business results for accelerated continuous growth.
- This business leader is responsible for managing a rolling 0-to-5-year project pipeline providing SCJ with a superior innovation program that includes: a) continuous cadence of base business news, b) claims and demo leadership; and c) an integrated robust roadmap plan to drive differentiation and clear advantage vs. competition.
- The Manager Base RD&E, Home Storage is expected to lead & maintain a highly capable, curious and engaged technical team of at least 6 direct reports, ensuring latest science & technology knowledge and product development practices are harvested and applied with urgency and robustness.
- Strong product development and business acumen required to effectively collaborate and influence partners from Commercial, Product Supply, Consumer Insight and Finance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands the business, market and category dynamics to optimize innovation portfolio and win the shoppers and consumers in the marketplace. Translate these understanding of the consumer into product and experience requirements.
- Applies product development best practices, deep-technical knowledge, business context and competitive set information to drive project requirements and excellence in execution.
- Assertive and collaborative leader with passion to build a winning learning culture across multi-location sites. Promote experimentation and robust technical system thinking to uncover technical insights and drive flawless execution.
- Collaborate with business partners to influence and deliver aligned 1-3 year initiative growth plans. Identify strategies and levers to make each project bigger and better (simpler, cheaper and/or faster).
- Possess the ability to gain alignment and enrollment to a course of action among key cross-functional peers in Commercial, Finance, Product Supply and within RDE. Strong communicator to drive clarity, commitment and full engagement.
- Deliver products with superiority against defined Consumer Choice Drivers which drives both sales and profit growth
- Execute the aligned cadence of base business news (product and commercial) that wins consumers and shoppers accelerating market share growth
- Identify and deliver advantaged claims, including compelling consumer and customer demos
- Support the development of a robust, multi-year pipeline (technology roadmap) of base business technical solutions that deliver an abundance of growth opportunities
- Operational Efficiency and Effectiveness to deliver commitments within budget and aligned success criteria.
- Ensure project staffing with the right capability and resources (people, tools, equipment and budget) to drive business results.
- Prioritize project portfolio with the right winning cadence of new product, claims & demos, cost savings and capability/quality improvements.
- Clear communication of risk and opportunities to drive timely decision making and simplification.
Management Expertise & Leadership:
- Demonstrate behaviors that reflect SCJ Success Drivers and establish a “Mindset to Win” Culture in RDE category team
- Support the development of those in reporting organization through training opportunities, coaching and performance management practices including conducting annual performance reviews and management succession and development activities.
- Build an engaged team with the required functional skill sets that understands their roles and responsibilities in delivering SCJ business objectives
- Attract, retain and develop talent while fostering a performance-driven culture
- Demonstrate strong RD&E functional skills, including effective communication, financial acumen, integrated risk management, project management, quality & Robustness, Regulation & Safety, Scientific Rigor and Technical Curiosity
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Engineering and a minimum 8 plus years of progressive RD&E experience, or advanced degree and 5 plus years of CPG or closely related industry experience.
- Experience of successfully leading complex and interdependent project teams with global scope.
- Proven track record in product development translating consumer insights into winning products and experiences.
- Proven track record in delivering commitments with robust quality and significant impact to key business metrics.
- For internal candidates (Success Drivers and Functional Skills).
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Experience in Consumer-Packaged Goods (CPG) and/or Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) industry
- Advanced degree in Science or Engineering
- Strong communication skills to drive clarity, timely decision making, engagement and accountability while harnessing technical capability across/outside SCJ
- Lead and build relationships with multiple levels and across functions internal and external to the corporation
- Demonstrated success in managing highly complex projects, with ability to handle multiple projects under compressed timeline
- Demonstrated leadership skills in coaching and mentoring teams
- Ability to influence and create an environment of high performance teams.
- Ability to successfully navigate in a complex, evolving, global environment.
- Project management expertise, including Integration of functional RD&E workstreams
- Systems thinking, risk analysis and contingency planning
- Ability to understand & integrate technical information into business decisions
- Define technical development requirements and robust product validation plans
- Integration of cross functional work streams
- Ability to deal with Ambiguity
- Full time Monday-Friday Core Office hours
- Minimum 10% travel
- Ability to sit, stand, and lift to 25 lbs.
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunityand affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at262-260-3343or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law posterfor more information.