Director, Engineering – Global Home StorageBay City, Michigan Job ID 22357 Apply
The role of Director, Engineering – Global Home Storage is an exciting opportunity to lead highly technical teams within a challenging and growing Home Storage category - products include Ziploc Pinch n Seal, Sliders and Sandwich bags. There will be technical oversight across global Home Storage production modules, while closely collaborating with other regional / global technical leaders and business stakeholders.
There are three key parts to the role:
(1) leading the global COE (Center of Excellence Design Eng. Team) to manage both internally and externally designed equipment platforms (located in Bay City, MI),
(2) leading the Bay City Site Engineering team that contains a group of Project Managers & Technical Engineers
(3) providing technical leadership for non-Bay City plant Engineering teams (internal and external ops).
Key technologies are focused on the Ziploc process for film making, extrusion & web handling to seal and pack consumer bags. These incorporate “Design for Excellence” techniques and a collaborative team approach - driving to achieve optimal cost, performance, and lead-time goals for new products made at high speed and reliability. All this is done while incorporating industry standard safety & environmental requirements and leading-edge manufacturing technologies.
It is expected that a combination of business strategy (goal setting, org & mastery development) with technical leadership is provided, while managing key plant and corporate stakeholders, to implement best practices and global platforms. Additional responsibilities include providing guidance, oversight, and strategically leveraging the SC Johnson technical network to enable innovation for the Ziploc business.
This role will also reside on the Global Engineering Leadership Team for steering and governance within the function.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Engineering Director will drive priorities for the Home Storage Engineering teams within the Americas, plus oversight across global 3rd Party Manufacturing operations. This position will partner with key stakeholders to implement and drive best practices in engineering delivery for safety, reliability, environmental and technology-friendly applications.
- Engineering responsibilities include the development, implementation, and administration of the plants' annual and long-term capital plans through leadership of the plant engineering team.
- Ensure design philosophies and standards developed by the Global Design Engineering group are being integrated across all Home Storage sites.
- Ensure site resource sufficiency to deliver aggressive engineering workload, which includes safety / quality, new capacity, productivity and infrastructure projects.
- Lead development / studies / execution of site “Master Plans” for all Home Storage modules, including 3-5 year capital plan for infrastructure and technology needs in line with business needs
- Work with Plant Engineering teams to develop technical proposals necessary to support business requirements – with accountability to ensure timeline and budget targets for all projects are met
- Maintain cross-functional collaboration with key stakeholders and sponsors across SC Johnson to ensure projects are in line with regional and global requirements
- Work closely with HR Teams to acquire talent - developing resources & talent pipeline plans, including succession plans to ensure top talent is retained for future growth leadership opportunities internally.
- Seek out low-cost sourcing of equipment and services, in line with global engineering support, to maintain healthy asset value in all plants.
- Partner with plant leadership to develop operational readiness programs for all capital projects – ensuring Operations are ready to run equipment to achieve vertical startups.
- Manage budgets and cash flow forecasting for capital projects; Partner with Finance and Plant Leadership in developing project justifications
- Ensures that engineering scope on projects comply with all code and regulatory requirement
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of industrial experience, in roles with project management and leadership responsibilities within a manufacturing or supply chain organization.
- Experience working in a manufacturing plant required, with a strong understanding of operations and how to drive operational excellence (incl. reliability and performance)
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Master’s Degree in a technical field
- Experience within a large, global Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) group
- TPM/Lean experience
- Led highly technical teams with department budgets.
- Driven / led complex projects and worked with external design / equipment vendors to develop plans for project execution.
- General business acumen to understand and prepare project business cases against traditional business metrics (such as NPV and ROI).
- Held either regional or global level responsibility, able to collaborate with senior cross functional partners and stakeholders.
- Experience writing equipment specifications with performance guarantees, including factory and site acceptance testing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, high complexity and large projects (CAPEX +US$20M & portfolio +US$50M) simultaneously; ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization; effective presentation skills
- Comprehensive working knowledge of project management, writing capital projects, and leadership of engineering disciplines & Teams
- Ability to engage with senior stakeholders and influence at senior levels within an organization; strong interpersonal skills with the ability to thrive in a matrix-based, team environment
- Large ERP experience preferred
- Full-time position
- 10-20% travel expected
- Located in Bay City, Michigan (remote work is not an option)
At SC Johnson, we strive to create a positive, inclusive and unique workplace. We strongly believe SCJ people are able to achieve their best when they can collaborate and work together in person.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The policy of the Company is to ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender identity, gender expression, disability, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in any active or reserve component of the U.S. or state military forces, genetic history or information or any other category protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.