Mechanical Development Engineering Associate ManagerBay City, Michigan Job ID 15057 Apply
As the Associate Manager, Mechanical Development Engineer in Bay City, MI, you will have the opportunity to work on the development and design of our Home Storage products. This hands-on position will have you serving as a technical expert for innovative product design, material selection, plastic processing / forming methods, manufacturing line requirements all while focusing on product and environmental compatibility. As an individual contributor, this role will identify and translate consumer needs into next generation innovative product designs whereby fulfilling the consumer experience.
SC Johnson is a fifth-generation family company built on a spirit of adventure and winning the right way. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building top brands such as Raid®, Glade®, Kiwi®, OFF!®, Windex®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country. Through these household names, we are making a positive difference to the world around us. But we only succeed with the combined vitality and strength of our 13,000 people who we truly value and support in their pursuit of individual and shared goals.
SC Johnson’s total compensation packages are at or above industry levels. In addition to salary, total packages may include bonuses, long-term incentives, matching 401(k) contributions and profit sharing based on company profitability, job level and years of service. As a family company, we’re committed to providing benefits such as subsidized health care plans, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, flexible work arrangements, vacation purchase options, recreation and fitness centers, childcare, counseling services and more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engineer components, assemblies, and / or processes as part of the design of products and the way they are manufactured
- Identify and provide direction to outside design and manufacturing resources to assure the timely delivery of the internal project
- Work with a larger cross functional team to achieve project objectives
- Initiate cost savings / efficiency changes to delivery systems currently in market or in development
- Identify next generation innovation materials and technologies benefitting the business and sustainability goals
- Qualify components and systems through lab testing, line trials and consumer testing
- Translate quantitative technical data into qualitative consumer benefits
- Apply root cause analysis to identify component and system issues and recommend needed changes
- Serve as a hands-on technical expert for product design, plastic processing / forming methods, material selection, manufacturing line requirements and product + environment compatibility.
- May guide, train, or coach other junior professionals by using advanced scientific methods or quality processes and robust product specifications
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline and a minimum of 6 years of experience in the development and commercialization of consumer product goods or master’s degree with at least 4 years in the development and commercialization of consumer product goods.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Experience working with design and manufacturing partners outside the organization
- Experience with plastic injection molding, blow molding, forming, extrusion and sub assembly processes and print technologies
- Familiarity with flexible film properties and elastomer materials
- Experience with predictive development methods and tools, such as DOEs, FEA Simulation, and CAD solid modeling as well as hands-on practical prototyping problem solving techniques
- Technical breadth and depth in product development and commercialization, global products experience, technology trends, competitive and IP landscape systems, analytical test methods, sustainability, and leveraging external technologies
- Initiative-taking, results-oriented can-do team player with a clear focus on high quality and timely delivery of objectives
- Natural forward planner effective at mitigating roadblocks and proposing alternative solutions
- Excellent communicator with a track record of presenting ideas with courage and conviction
Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned
at any time with or without notice as assigned by the Manager. The job description
does not constitute a contract of employment and the position remains at-will.
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.