Project Manager, EngineeringBay City, Michigan Job ID 14407 Apply
As the Project Manager Engineer, you would be responsible for managing large capital projects and leading manufacturing operational improvement efforts to assure a safe, high quality and highly productive working environment. This individual will also be responsible for developing new capabilities and/or implementing new technologies to maintain/advance our world class manufacturing process.
SC Johnson is a fifth-generation family company built on a spirit of adventure and winning the right way. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building top brands such as Raid®, Glade®, Kiwi®, OFF!®, Windex®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country. Through these household names, we are making a positive difference to the world around us. But we only succeed with the combined vitality and strength of our 13,000 people who we truly value and support in their pursuit of individual and shared goals.
SC Johnson’s total compensation packages are at or above industry levels. In addition to salary, total packages may include bonuses, long-term incentives, matching 401(k) contributions and profit sharing based on company profitability, job level and years of service. As a family company, we’re committed to providing benefits such as subsidized health care plans, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, flexible work arrangements, vacation purchase options, recreation and fitness centers, childcare, counseling services and more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The position reports directly to the Director of Engineering, Global Engineering and is primarily accountable for:
- Leading capital projects ranging from $100M to multi-million dollar projects from concept through start-up: Leading the preparation of the charter, execution plan, capital funding request, specifications, control logic, instrumentation list, equipment list, flow charts, P&ID’s, engineering calculations and procedures for new and modified production lines and processes utilizing Early Management tools and methodology and following the Engineering Work Process.
- Complete responsibility for delivering the scope of the project on time and on budget.
- Manage and lead the Project Team which can consist of 30+ designers and engineers from both inside and outside the company.
- Lead the construction team of up to 100 contractors of multiple disciplines during the construction and start-up phases of the project.
- Estimate and analyze the costs and benefits of various project options and present them in a concise manner.
- Utilize problem solving tools to define issues and eliminate their root causes
- Investigate, drive, and lead projects involving capacity improvement, cost savings, process optimization, productivity improvements and development of new process machinery
- Work closely with plant support engineers and manufacturing teams to solve technical problems and improve equipment efficiencies.
- Assure compliance of engineering global standards and regulations as they apply to each project.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering , or another Engineering dicipline
- Minimum 7 years of experience leading Engineering Projects and manufacturing support in a TPM environment.
- Travel required- 10%
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Experience with capital project/equipment installation management.
- Experience in contractor and vendor management.
- Ability to independently develop project scope, cost estimate and schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and within budget.
- Must have ability to prioritize and execute numerous simultaneous projects and support activities.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities which fosters group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience in TPM, Early Management methodology and Lean Manufacturing.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills in identifying and resolving problems in a timely manner using the appropriate methodologies.
- Displays original thinking, creativity and resourcefulness which generate innovative approaches and ideas.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to effectively manage projects through a team to deliver results through others, keeping the team engaged, energized and committed.
- Ability to read, interpret, and generate engineering drawings using CAD.
- Experience with plastic extrusion, film making, web handling
- PSM (Process Safety Management) experience.
- SAP, Microsoft Project, MS Office
- Experience with problem solving tools such as 5 Why, Kaizens, FMECA’s etc.
- Full time with operational support outside core business hours as needed to support the 24x7 Manufacturing environment.
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.