Senior Associate, Development Engineering - Tool & DieBay City, Michigan Job ID 15325 Apply
- The Senior Associate, Development Engineering - Tool & Die is a technical member of the RD&E team responsible for the management of the RD&E Tool and Die Shop along with the development, and creation of tooling and parts used throughout the new product development process.
- Apply technical skills and knowledge along with identification of new technologies for the development of innovative new products and processes that allows SC Johnson to "win at the store shelf".
- Supervision and mentorship of student trainees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership within a cross-functional team to drive the design and development of new products and processes through the optimization of existing tooling/parts or the creation of new tooling/parts.
- Successfully support the Pilot Plant by providing tooling options, part modification, installation support, equipment maintenance, guarding, and safety reviews.
- Successfully manage project tasks according to SCJ processes and best practices identifying and collaborating with a cross functional team on process improvement opportunities.
- Deliver a range of prototypes to project teams, spanning from conceptual (looks like and/or works like) to fully developed engineered parts that are made from prototype or development tooling.
- Consult on new profile plate designs to assure the plates will meet our production standards and shop capabilities.
- Support the Project Manager with detailed input to the project timeline and risk identification / mitigation plans to achieve project objectives.
- Select materials that deliver on performance requirements of component parts and products.
- Ability to lead technical work ranging from individual research initiatives to more complex projects, while managing multiple priorities.
- Interact closely with RD&E, Engineering and Global Supply Chain.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Associates Degree in related field or vocational/technical degree in related field
- 5+ years of experience in prototyping/tool making with ability to earn Journeyman Certificate within 3 years in Tool & Die, Mold Making, or other Design Development technology
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Meticulous attention to detail and well organized
- Proficiency / working knowledge of Wire EDM fabrication, programing, and maintenance.
- Ability to move projects forward through rapid turn-around of parts to resolve processing issues. Quickly resolving issues that are occurring in the Pilot Plant to enable teams to move forward.
- Strong creative skills and ability to visualize design changes needed to optimize a process/part.
- Strong technical expertise and working knowledge of all machine tools including mills, lathes, grinders, CNC machines.
- Strong technical expertise and working knowledge of multiple manufacturing processes such as sealing technologies, extrusion technology, assembly techniques, finishing, as well as scale-up and manufacturing line requirements.
- Ability to produce a range of machined parts to aid in the Pilot Plant proto-tying process. Support the pilot plant and project teams through the creation, modification, and Installation of die and tooling components.
- Technical curiosity to investigate the source of issues or opportunities and provide innovative ideas, expertise, and knowledge with a high degree of integrity, speed, and a results-oriented approach.
- Strong oral/written communication skills, with ability to communicate effectively and concisely to all levels within the organization. Including a strong sense of curiosity and ability to ask meaningful questions to guide requestors to a solution.
- Strong leadership, influence, and cross-functional team skills to effectively work across internal organizational boundaries.
- Interpret complex detail and component drawings. Produce parts to print tolerances.
- Complete all required paperwork, quality records, documents, etc.
- Comply with all safety and work rules and regulations. Maintain departmental housekeeping standards.
- Full time standard office core hours
- 0-20% travel, domestic & international
- Ability to sit, stand, and lift to 50lbs.
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.