Manager,Shopper InsightsChicago, Illinois Job ID 18166 Apply
The Manager, Category & Shopper Insights Leadership is responsible for leading overall development of competitively advantaged shopper insights for SCJ and its retailer partners. This position reports to the Category & Shopper Leadership Director, COE/Shopper Insights and acts to bring Shopper needs to the forefront in all internal and external conversations, running point for the team as the Shopper Champion in the ever evolving, omni-commerce environment.
Key workstreams include leading design & execution of category-focused primary and secondary shopper research, and translating key learnings into actionable, category-focused narratives and solutions for both physical and digital marketplace.
This role partners with retailer CSL/Sales teams to create and deploy strategies that drive in-store and online conversion. This role is expected to work closely with the Category Management Center of Excellence, as well as the broader CSL & Sales teams, to identify shopper knowledge gaps and work to close them. Further, this role stays connected to other cross functional teams including Consumer Insights & Business Analytics (CIBA) and Customer Marketing and Brand Commercialization to share the critical category Shopper perspective within the organization.
This person is responsible for managing the Shopper Insights research budget as well as vendor partnerships.
This position has three direct reports across both Category Management and Shopper Insights, that span all SCJ categories, and all Classes of Trade.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a rich & comprehensive shopper learning plan across all SCJ categories
- Scope and advance a multidimensional understanding of shoppers and store dynamics including integrating customer and syndicated data to provide strategic consultation to the Sales and Business teams.
- Lead design & execution of national and/or customer specific shopper research and partner with customer teams to activate, roll out strategies to drive in-store conversion.
- Develop and coach direct reports to contribute/learn/grow to the development and furthering of the Shopper Insights work as well as Category knowledge
- Owns relationships with key third-party vendors
- Runs point in managing the Shopper Learning budget
About our team
Our Category & Shopper Leadership team vision is to be to be the indispensable partner to our customers with compelling & actionable insights to unlock category growth. We serve as the Category and Shopper Advocate, to:
- Create the most shoppable shelf that will drive conversion
- Optimize category & SCJ assortment
- Through our understanding of the Shopper Journey, we impact what is purchased as well as Where and How
- We act as teachers and thought leaders to empower our partners both internally and externally with deeper knowledge of the Shopper
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor's Degree and 7+ years relevant experience.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
Education and Experience
- Advanced Degree preferred
- Experience in Shopper Insights and/or Retailer-specific Insights OR equitable Consumer Insights experience
- Experience working with top US retailers on design and delivery of customer research highly desired
- People management a plus
- Experience working with third party data suppliers to scope and manage project work
- Ability to translate data into compelling stories for customers
- Ability to define root cause factors from data, experience and judgment
- Ability to merge and make sense of multiple data sources
- Passion and curiosity for understanding and using human/shopper behavior to craft solutions
- Advanced skills in syndicated data tools, Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with retailer specific data tools (POS, Retailer Loyalty Card data etc.)
- Experience with both primary and secondary research tools to understand shopper needs and behaviors
- Proficient in turning large amounts of data into a compelling, insightful story with actionable recommendations to drive category growth.
- Strong storyteller.
- Macro/big picture thinking and future focused curiosity
- Comfort in dealing with ambiguity and ability to work in a self-directed environment
- Cross-functional team partnership
- Strong presentation and influencing skills
- High sense of urgency
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to coach and develop direct reports to continue their professional journey
Remote work is available once a week for eligible employees.
At SC Johnson, we strive to create a positive, inclusive and unique workplace. We strongly believe SCJ people are able to achieve their best when they can collaborate and work together in person.
The policy of the Company is to ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender identity, gender expression, disability, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in any active or reserve component of the U.S. or state military forces, genetic history or information or any other category protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.