Associate Manager, TaxFairland, South Africa Job ID 16899 Apply
The purpose of this position is to manage the tax aspects of all countries within the cluster (Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa) including appropriate internal controls, identifying tax issues (income and transactional taxes), foreign currency, transfer pricing, customs assistance, international audit issues, U.S. tax reporting and local tax provision reviews, managing local country tax compliance (income tax, withholding tax, and indirect tax), etc. This position will leverage 3rd party outsourcing where necessary per guidance from Corporate Tax based in the US.
SC Johnson is a fifth-generation family company built on a spirit of adventure and winning the right way. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building top brands such as Pledge®,Duck®, Mr. Muscle®,Raid®, Glade®, Kiwi®, OFF!®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country. Through these household names, we are making a positive difference to the world around us. But we only succeed with the combined vitality and strength of our 13,000 people who we truly value and support in their pursuit of individual and shared goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tax Planning - This position will provide guidance on such items like: transfer-pricing, currency issues, indirect tax issues, etc. with a balanced approach taking into consideration risk factors and impact on the local subsidiary’s effective tax rate. This position will review country income and indirect tax legislation, changes in tax rulings and regulations, and court decisions to determine their impact on corporate operations and recommend, where desirable, alternative actions to minimize tax liability. This position will leverage 3rd party outsourcing where necessary per guidance from Corporate Tax.
- Tax Expense and US GAAP Income Tax Accounting - This position will be responsible for monitoring and assisting in the calculation of the local subsidiary’s tax expense calculations as well as U.S. GAAP income tax reporting requirements.
- Tax Compliance - This position will provide guidance, support, and prepare/ review tax returns (income and indirect) for completeness as well as assist with the tax provision to tax return true-ups. Ensuring that all taxes (Income tax, VAT, WHT, PAYE etc.) are submitted within the jurisdictions in the African cluster accurately and timely is a primary responsibility. If the preparation of income and indirect tax returns is managed by a service provider, this position will complete tax packages and provide necessary financial data requested by such service provider and manage the overall workstream to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Tax audits - This position will also support and assist with ongoing tax audits/disputes and manage interactions with local tax authorities with assistance from Corporate Tax.
- Transfer pricing documentation - Manage transfer pricing documentation for the African cluster with assistance from an outside firm.
- Other responsibilities - helping with the budget process; country by country reporting; regularly liaise with Corporate Tax in the US to keep the updated on ongoing planning and compliance topics; training the broader team on changes or audit learnings on the tax process and developments; working with personnel in other departments where interaction is needed to manage tax affairs (IT, accounting, global trade and customs, etc.).
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- The educational background for this position requires a degree in accounting or finance, with a CPA/chartered accountant and/or advanced tax degree or professional tax qualification preferred.
- The ideal candidate should have Min 3 or more years tax experience with 2 years’ experience at a public accounting firm or large corporation performing similar tax related activities.
- Strong accounting and financial skills
- Demonstrate ability to influence across organization
- Ability to implement and enforce internal controls
- Strong Computer skills, Microsoft Office, SAP, BPC
Together, we are creating a better future – for the planet, for future generations and for every SCJ team member. Come join us and make an impact through iconic global brands. GO FURTHER WITH OUR FAMILY™
You need to be legally eligible to work in the country of application.