Associate Manager, Government RelationsFt. Washington, Maryland Job ID 23136 Apply
SC JOHNSON IS A FIFTH-GENERATION FAMILY COMPANY BUILT ON THE SPIRIT OF OUR PEOPLE. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building iconic brands that win the hearts and minds of consumers – such as Raid®, Glade®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country around the world. Together, we are creating a better future – for the planet, for future generations and for every SCJ team member. Join our winning team of Wave Makers and Go Getters and help us write the next chapter in the SCJ story.
As the Associate Manager, Government Relations, you will be based in Washington, DC, and responsible for supporting SC Johnson’s efforts to influence U.S. public policy impacting the company’s business and operations, and for maintaining effective working relationship with officials and staff of various branches of government, as well as other stakeholders who may influence the development of public policy of interest to the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for supporting SC Johnson’s government relations program, primarily at the U.S. federal level. The individual will work with the Government Relations team to achieve favorable outcomes to federal policy proposals and will work to optimize the company’s profile and visibility with policymakers
- In support of business objectives, the role requires monitoring and researching federal legislation and regulation (e.g., EPA, FDA, CPSC, OSHA) impacting the company, evaluating these impacts with input from business units, and assisting with the development and implementation of influencing strategies to protect and promote company interests or reputation. This involves working closely with business teams and various functions across the company (e.g., Public Affairs, Legal, RD&E, Regulatory Affairs, Sustainability, Human Resources, Product Supply) on a range of projects and initiatives
- The individual will also participate in SC Johnson’s trade association memberships and with relevant industry stakeholder groups and coalitions to manage industry issues relevant to the company
- This role will assist with administration of the company’s federal political action committee, to include providing input to candidate contribution recommendations, conducting annual fundraising solicitations, organizing fundraising events in Washington, DC, and periodically representing the company at political events
- The individual also will be expected to participate in SC Johnson’s visible presences in Washington, DC, including attending public events, social functions, and political events, and working to cultivate and maintain effective relationships on behalf of the company with key officials, agencies and thought leaders
In addition to the duties described above, the Associate Manager, Federal Government Relations will be expected to perform the following functions in support of the Government Relations team:
- Develop and maintain successful relationships with both internal and external clients with the ability to work with all levels of the organization
- Assist with coordinating events hosted by the Government Relations team, including scheduling, preparing materials, and overseeing logistics
- Represent the Government Relations organization with a high level of professionalism, including assisting with stakeholder requests and inquiries on behalf of the Government Relations team
- Assist with meeting preparations and developing meeting materials
- Work with the Vice President of Global Government Relations to monitor the departmental budget and track expenditures
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree is required in political science, business, international relations, communications, government affairs or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Congress, corporate government relations, lobbying or consulting firm, or related industry trade association
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Graduate degree is helpful, but not required
- Full time
- Remote work is available once a week for eligible employees
SC Johnson’s total compensation packages are at or above industry levels. In addition to salary, total packages may include bonuses, long-term incentives, matching 401(k) contributions and profit sharing based on company profitability, job level and years of service. As a family company, we’re committed to providing benefits such as subsidized health care plans, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, flexible work arrangements, vacation purchase options, recreation and fitness centers, childcare, counseling services and more.
At SC Johnson, we strive to create a positive, inclusive and unique workplace. We strongly believe SCJ people are able to achieve their best when they can collaborate and work together in person.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The policy of the Company is to ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender identity, gender expression, disability, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in any active or reserve component of the U.S. or state military forces, genetic history or information or any other category protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.