Associate Manager, ChemistRacine, Wisconsin Job ID 16522 Apply
As the Associate Manager, Chemist, you will lead a variety of functions related to the formulation, labeling, and consumer acceptability of our products to meet the expanding organizational and market needs of our business. You will develop new products, line extensions, and lead technology advancements which result in consumer preferred benefits.
You will work under supervision within specific area receiving operational direction.
SC Johnson is a fifth-generation family company built on a spirit of adventure and winning the right way. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building top brands such as Raid®, Glade®, Kiwi®, OFF!®, Windex®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country. Through these household names, we are making a positive difference to the world around us. But we only succeed with the combined vitality and strength of our 13,000 people who we truly value and support in their pursuit of individual and shared goals.
SC Johnson’s total compensation packages are at or above industry levels. In addition to salary, total packages may include bonuses, long-term incentives, matching 401(k) contributions and profit sharing based on company profitability, job level and years of service. As a family company, we’re committed to providing benefits such as subsidized health care plans, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, flexible work arrangements, vacation purchase options, recreation and fitness centers, childcare, counseling services and more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop formulations to meet internal ingredient standards and industry best practices for safety, scientific significance, accuracy, and recordkeeping
- Conduct performance testing to support claims
- Optimize formulation ingredients to manage costs and availability of ingredients for intended function
- Monitor stability testing, including first production run stabilities, and maintain records thoroughly and concisely compliant with good laboratory practices
- Prepare samples and track documentation for micro-challenge, toxicological, clinical, and performance testing. Coordinate outside testing with appropriate resources as required
- Meet with chemical suppliers to be aware of new raw materials and the possible second sourcing of raw materials to meet cost objectives
- Review trade publications and other industry news sources for raw material information, regulatory updates, and educational opportunities
- Investigate new raw materials and technologies through laboratory experimentation, record findings, and suggest applications
- Generate data, analyze data, and draw conclusions to make recommendations
- Prepare and/or coordinate preparation of sales samples as needed for photography, trade shows, etc.
- Adhere to project milestones and launch time deadlines
- Input data requirements in SAP with accuracy and attention to detail
- Prepare quotation packets as specified for new products and submit to outside fillers to include but not limited to formulation, mixing procedures, color, odor, and appearance standards and specified raw materials
- Be present for pilot batches and first production runs as necessary depending on formulation and contract manufacturer capabilities
- Work closely with cross functional team members on ensuring quality scale up of laboratory formulas
- Participation on cross functional teams for new product development and launches
- Obtain an awareness of regulatory and sustainability issues applicable to product launches
- Follow general lab safety guidelines and maintain a clean, orderly work area
- Travel to outside fillers and industry events as requested/necessary and determined by needs of the business and direction from supervisor
- Support sales team with customer questions and performance testing data
- Work as a member of a fast-paced project team to create new products or product improvements that address consumer user criteria, needs, and insights
- Translate ideas and concepts into prototypes – leveraging skills and tools such as Rapid Prototyping and CAD
- Utilize knowledge of experimental design (DOE) and statistics to efficiently select appropriate course(s) of action to meet business needs
- Utilize available external resources to identify applicable new technologies and recommend bringing those technologies in-house, (e.g. by searching scientific and patent literature, outside contacts, suppliers, etc.)
- Utilize knowledge to contribute to the successful commercialization of new ideas driving consumer and corporate value
- May have capability to set objectives and have direct impact on the achievement within the job area
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, biochemistry or other related science and a minimum of 5 years of experience in the consumer products industry or master’s degree with at least 3 years relevant work experience
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Possess an understanding of regulatory processes, (i.e., EPA registrations); experience
- Knowledge of the product development process and experience related to various formulation and delivery system technologies related to products (e.g., aerosol formulation, emulsion chemistry, gel formulation, polymer chemistry, reaction products, surfactants, solvents, builders)
- Understanding of the functional properties, proper use, and the environmental impact of ingredients
- Provide innovative ideas and knowledge with a high degree of integrity, speed, and a results-oriented approach
- Explore new technologies and materials, which may have application for product lines and ability to design experiments to evaluate the performance attributes of products
- Scientific curiosity and the ability to solve technical problems related to formulation and manufacturing
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate accurately and concisely to multiple levels within the company
- Proficient computer skills; will be required to become competent in the use of PLM (SAP based product management system)
- Full time
- 0- 5% travel
- Ability to lift 10 – 40 pounds
Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice as assigned by the Manager. The job description does not constitute a contract of employment and the position remains at-will.
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.