Associate Manager, ChemistryRacine, Wisconsin Job ID 10614 Apply
- Lead the technical development of new formulations for products in support of global brands, the research scientist will develop new formulations, and lead product development projects.
- The research scientist will develop new products, line extensions and lead technology advancements which result in consumer preferred benefits.
- The incumbent will participate on, and at times lead cross-functional teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Formulating new products, product changes, lead technology advancements and competitive assessments which result in new consumer benefits, reduced cost or improved environmental impact of the products.
2. Collaborating with multifunctional core teams (RD&E, Design, Marketing, Marketing Research, and Product Supply) to successfully identify, develop and launch new products in an accelerated manner.
3. Communicating complex ideas accurately and concisely to colleagues at all levels within the company and to a variety of diverse disciplines and functions to deliver business-building solutions.
4. Work with multiple product types and have the ability to translate user needs into consumer-preferred solutions, which is an important aspect of the product development process .
5. Develop product technologies, when appropriate, relevant to global markets.
Functional Skills and Expertise:
- Formulation knowledge. Ability to acquire, expand and implement advances in the state of the art chemical sciences and utilize expertise to contribute to the successful commercialization of new ideas driving consumer and corporate value. Ideal candidate will have specific knowledge of active ingredients and how to formulate for most effective products.
- Understand the functional properties, proper use, and the environmental impact of ingredients.
- Provide innovative ideas, expertise and knowledge with a high degree of integrity, speed, and a results-oriented approach.
- Explore new technologies and materials, which may have application for product lines and ability to design experiments to evaluate the performance attributes of products.
- Utilize knowledge of experimental design (DOE) and statistics to efficiently select appropriate course(s) of action to meet business needs.
- Utilize available external resources to identify applicable new technologies and bring those technologies in-house, e.g. by searching scientific and patent literature, outside contacts, suppliers, etc.
- Scientific curiosity and the ability to solve technical problems related to formulation and manufacturing.
- Write and review procedures, test protocols and specifications needed to support product development activities for new formulas and packages.
- Interact closely with marketing and consumers to research and identify critical product attributes.
- Ability to interpret consumer test results and provide recommendations for product improvements and claims.
- Strong leadership skills, can influence and lead cross-functional teams to effectively work across internal organizational boundaries.
- Ability to lead technical projects as the RDE Project Manager while managing multiple priorities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate accurately and concisely to multiple levels within the company.
- Highly proactive and results-oriented approach.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and 7 plus years of relevant working experience or an advanced degree and 5 plus years of relevant working experience.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Experience with directing the efforts of external vendors and consultants is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of the product development process and experience related to various formulation and delivery system technologies related to Life Style Brands is considered a plus.
- Possess an understanding of regulatory processes, i.e., EPA registrations; experience is desirable.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Full time
- Some travel may be required
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.