Associate Manager, Packaging EngineerRacine, Wisconsin Job ID 10517 Apply
- Lead the technical assessment of new or revised packaging materials & products on global brands.
- Develop new products/packages, line extensions, and lead technology advancements which support market growth or continuity needs for assigned businesses.
- The incumbent will participate on, and at times lead cross-functional teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify and apply new or existing packaging materials and technologies towards the development of new products, along with the enhancement of existing products, that drive consumer appeal and enable SC Johnson to "win at the store shelf";
- Design, coordinate, and complete performance and compatibility testing in support of packaging component changes
- Develop & manage packaging specifications and finished good assembly specifications
- Execute domestic and global packaging development projects by creating and managing efficient project timelines and success criteria to realize on-time implementation.
- Collaborate within multi-functional core teams (including RD&E, Design, Marketing, Marketing Research, and Product Supply) to successfully identify, develop and launch new products in an accelerated manner.
- Provide technical leadership within a cross-functional team to drive the design and development of innovative new products or optimization of existing packages.
Functional Skills and Expertise:
- Knowledge of packaging technology and materials and the application of sound scientific principles to the development of new and revised packaging designs.
- Demonstrated growth in ability to acquire, expand and apply advances within state of the art packaging technology, utilizing expertise to enable the successful commercialization of new ideas driving consumer and business value.
- Strong technical expertise and working knowledge of multiple packaging related disciplines, such as; materials, dispensing systems, aerosols, flexible films, plastic parts and related molding technology, along with scale-up and manufacturing line requirements
- Experience and technical competency in primary, secondary and tertiary packaging design and qualification (e.g. product/package compatibility, manufacturing and distribution qualification.)
- Technical curiosity to investigate the source of issues & opportunities, while providing creative ideas, quality of work, and speed through a results-oriented approach.
- Utilize available resources (patent literature, suppliers, etc.) to identify internal & external technologies, including their limits of use, and assess which ones apply to scope of work or brand migration strategy.
- Ability to define and build alignment from technical stakeholders around an effective research plan.
- Write and review lab test procedures, scale-up protocols, and specifications needed to support product development activities.
- Product Management systems experience (i.e. SAP Product Lifecycle Management)
- Strong leadership, influence, and cross-functional teaming skills to effectively work across internal organizational boundaries.
- Strong oral & written communication skills, with ability to deliver a concise message across levels within the organization.
- Interact closely with marketing and consumers to research and identify critical product and package attributes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of consumer testing techniques and execution of appropriate studies to evaluate product performance.
- Ability to lead technical work ranging from individual research initiatives to more complex projects, serving as the RDE Technical Lead when called upon to manage multiple project work-streams.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor of Science in Packaging or a related engineering field, with 5 plus years of product/packaging development experience, or an advanced degree with three plus years of product/packaging development experience.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- In-depth knowledge of the product development process and experience related to SC Johnson’s many delivery system technologies is considered a plus (e.g., aerosols, rigid plastics, flexible films, blister packs, paperboard cartons, etc.)
- Demonstrated capability to handle multiple projects/programs concurrently
- Experience in directing initiatives with external vendors and consultants.
- Position is Full Time
- Domestic and some international travel is required
Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice as assigned by the Manager. The job description does not constitute a contract of employment and the position remains at-will.
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.