Associate, Packaging EngineerRacine, Wisconsin Job ID 10426 Apply
- Lead the technical development of new or revised packaging formats products in support of global brands.
- The product development scientist will develop new products/packages, line extensions and lead technology advancements which expand the organizational and market needs for the assigned portion of our business.
- The incumbent will participate on, and at times lead cross-functional teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Identify and apply new and existing packaging materials and technologies towards the development of innovative new products and the enhancement of existing products that consumers find appealing and easy to use; packaging that is compelling and allows SC Johnson to "win at the store shelf"
Design, coordinate, and complete performance and compatibility testing in support of packaging component changes Execute domestic and global packaging development projects by creating and managing effective and efficient project timelines and related success criteria to realize on-time project completion dates. Collaborating with multifunctional core teams (RD&E, Design, Marketing, Marketing Research, and Product Supply) to successfully identify, develop and launch new products in an accelerated manner. Provide strong technical leadership within a cross-functional team to drive the design and development of innovative new products or to correct package-related issues Develop/update packaging specifications and finished good assembly specifications
Functional Skills and Expertise
Knowledge of packaging technology and materials and the application of sound scientific principles to the development of new and revised packaging. Ability to acquire, expand and implement advances in the state of the art packaging technology and utilize expertise to contribute to the successful commercialization of new ideas driving consumer and corporate value.
- Strong technical expertise, and working knowledge of multiple packaging related disciplines; such as materials, dispensing systems, aerosols, flexible films, plastic parts and related molding techniques, as well as scale-up and manufacturing line requirements
- Experience and technical competency in primary, secondary and tertiary packaging design and qualification (e.g. product/package compatibility, manufacturing and distribution qualification.)
- Technical curiosity to provide innovative ideas, expertise and knowledge with a high degree of integrity, speed, and a results-oriented approach.
- Utilize available external resources (patent literature, suppliers, etc.) to identify applicable new technologies and bring those technologies in-house.
- Utilize available external resources to identify applicable new technologies and bring those technologies in-house, e.g. by searching scientific and patent literature, outside contacts, suppliers, etc.
- Write and review procedures, test protocols and specifications needed to support product development activities.
- Product Management systems experience (i.e. SAP Product Lifecycle Management)
Strong leadership, influence, and cross-functional teaming skills to effectively work across internal organizational boundaries.
- Ability to lead technical work ranging from individual work to projects as the RDE Project Manager while managing multiple priorities.
- Knowledge of consumer testing techniques and execution of appropriate studies to evaluate product performance.
- Strong oral/written communication skills, with ability to communicate concisely to all levels within the organization
- Interact closely with marketing and consumers to research and identify critical product and package attributes.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor of Science in Packaging or a related engineering field
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- In-depth knowledge of the product development process and experience related to various delivery system technologies is considered a plus (e.g., aerosol formulation, emulsion chemistry, gel formulation, polymer chemistry, reaction products, surfactants, solvents, builders)
- Experience with directing the efforts of external vendors and consultants is preferred.
- Position is Full Time
- Domestic and some international travel is required
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.