Category Manager, Research & DevelopmentRacine, Wisconsin Job ID 10572 Apply
•The primary responsibility of the Manager Base RD&E, [Category] is to manage the technical element of a battleground form (or a well-defined subset), delivering superior solutions that drive global business results and continuous growth.
•This business leader is responsible for managing a rolling 0-to-5-year activities pipeline providing SCJ with superior products; a continuous cadence of base business news; claims leadership; and a robust technology roadmap for key battleground forms under their accountability.
•The Manager Base RD&E, [Category] is expected to lead & maintain a highly capable, curious and engaged technical team of at least 6, ensuring latest science & technology knowledge is harvested and applied with urgency and robustness.
•Strong collaboration and ability to influence leaders from Commercial, GPS, Finance is key.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands the business, market and category dynamics acumen to optimize business results.
- Applies deep, technical knowledge, business context and competitive set information to drive project execution decisions in assigned forms/market battlegrounds
- Collaborate with business partners to deliver aligned 1-3 year growth initiative plans commensurate with the strategic role of the assigned forms/market battlegrounds.
- Possess the ability to gain alignment and enrollment to a course of action among key cross-functional peers in Commercial, Finance, GPS and within RDE
- Gains a thorough understanding of the Demand Choice Drivers and Demand Spaces. Ensures project objectives and execution are aligned to those key consumer elements.
- Creates an environment that ensures the flawless technical execution/delivery to market of projects within assigned portfolio.
- Deliver products with superiority against defined Consumer Choice Drivers which drives margin improvement
- Identify, develop and implement new and improved global offerings in existing categories, formats and brands that lead to profitable growth – ideation to launch
- Execute the aligned cadence of base business news (step change, simple base, claims leadership, price-pack architecture, etc.) that wins share in assigned forms/market battlegrounds
- Identify and deliver advantaged claims, including compelling consumer and customer demos
- Support the development of a robust, multi-year pipeline (technology roadmap) of base business technical solutions that deliver an abundance of growth opportunities
- Operational Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Ensure project staffing within assigned forms/market battlegrounds with the right capability and resources (people, tools, equipment and budget) to drive business results.
- Reaches across management lines and collaborates with peers when necessary to achieve priority divisional initiatives.
- Leads the form/market battleground Visual Project Management for assigned forms per the SCJ Delivery System best practices.
- Identifies and escalates issues to Sr. Management as needed to ensure transparency and project success.
- Includes NPD launches; cost-savings, project prioritization and other technically driven product changes
- Delivers commitments within budget and aligned timing expectations
- Demonstrate behaviors that reflect SCJ Success Drivers and establish a “Mindset to Win” Culture in RDE category team
- Support the development of those in reporting organization through training opportunities, coaching and performance management practices including conducting annual performance reviews and management succession and development activities.
- Build an engaged team with the required functional skill sets that understands their roles and responsibilities in delivering SCJ business objectives
- Attract, retain and develop talent while fostering a performance-driven culture
- Demonstrate strong RD&E functional skills, including effective communication, financial acumen, integrated risk management, project management, quality & Robustness, Regulation & Safety, Scientific Rigor and Technical Curiosity
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Minimum five plus years of progressive RD&E experience, or advanced degree and three plus years of CPG or closely related industry experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Engineering
- Experience of successfully leading complex and interdependent project teams with global scope.
- Proven track record in delivery commitments with significant impact to key business metrics (growth, share, margin improvement) global, creative, innovative new product development processes that result in product and portfolio growth
- For internal candidates (Success Drivers and Functional Skills)
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Experience in Consumer-Packaged Goods (CPG) and/or Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) industry
- Project Management (PMI) and/or Lean/Six-Sigma certification preferred
- Advanced degree in Science or Engineering
- Strong communication skills to harness technical capability across/outside SCJ
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Project
- Lead and build relationships with multiple levels and across functions internal and external to the corporation
- Demonstrated success in managing highly complex projects, with ability to handle multiple projects under compressed timeline
- Demonstrated leadership skills in coaching and mentoring teams
- Ability to influence and create an environment of high performance teams.
- Ability to successfully navigate in a complex, evolving, global environment.
- Clear and concise communication skills with the ability to orchestrate effective meetings and written materials prompting the appropriate discussions and accountability.
- Drive for Results, Decision Quality, Courage, and Interpersonal Savvy
- Building Effective Teams and Priority Setting
- Project management expertise, including Integration of functional RD&E workstreams
- Systems thinking, risk analysis and contingency planning
- Ability to understand & integrate technical information into business decisions
- Define technical development requirements and robust product validation plans
- Integration of cross functional work streams
- Ability to deal with Ambiguity
- Full time Monday-Friday Core Office hours
- Minimum 10% travel
- Ability to sit, stand, and lift to 25 lbs.
Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned
at any time with or without notice as assigned by the Manager. The job description
does not constitute a contract of employment and the position remains at-will.
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.