Chemical Technician Apprenticeship 2023Racine, Wisconsin Job ID 23081 Apply
SC JOHNSON IS A FIFTH-GENERATION FAMILY COMPANY BUILT ON THE SPIRIT OF OUR PEOPLE. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building iconic brands that win the hearts and minds of consumers – such as Raid®, Glade®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country around the world. Together, we are creating a better future – for the planet, for future generations and for every SCJ team member. Join our winning team of Wave Makers and Go Getters and help us write the next chapter in the SCJ story.
Are you fascinated with chemical bonding and find yourself contemplating Young's modulus of elasticity? Come grow and develop your technical curiosity in the SC Johnson Technician Apprenticeship Program in Racine, WI! As a Laboratory Technician Apprentice within SC Johnson, you will play an integral role in supporting all aspects of laboratory and study support functions for our testing and development work. Following a comprehensive induction process and carefully tailored training program, you will acquire a comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of batching, labeling, sample filling, stability testing, and performance testing to meet the expanding organizational and market needs of our growing business. The position requires attention to detail, accuracy in information documentation, and flexibility to work with a team of formulators and technicians.
Capitalize on a dedicated training and development program that will support your scientific and professional career aspirations and take pride in delivering products with a company who is dedicated to making the world a better place. Potential opportunity to join SCJ as a permanent employee post-graduation with your technical degree and utilize tuition reimbursement to help complete your bachelor’s degree.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor stability testing of home cleaning formulas and maintain thorough records compliant with good laboratory practices
- Conduct stability testing including pH, Viscosity, Color, Odor, Appearance
- Conduct product performance testing to support claims testing and entry of data into a database
- Batch and fill samples as needed for Marketing and R&D requests
- General lab maintenance
What You Will Receive:
- A 6 month Apprenticeship
- Progression opportunities and a chance to work on groundbreaking product development
- Mentorship from career scientists with PhD level education and years of industry experience
- Networking opportunities with Executive Leadership
- Opportunities to present your work
- Benefits that include shopping in the SC Johnson company store, Summer hours on Fridays, and holiday shutdown
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Enrolled in an Associate degree program in Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry or other STEM related field or a high school diploma and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Enrolled in an Associate degree program in Chemical Technician, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry at MATC or Gateway
- Rigorous precision in following standard protocols in adherence with a tightly defined schedule
- Ability to work closely with others as part of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong initiative and drive for self-development
- Ability to operate standard laboratory equipment
- Strong knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- A passion for science
- A willingness to learn
- Summer: 40 hours per week
- Opportunity for Fall Semester School Year: 10 - 20 hours per week around school schedule
- Employees must be able to demonstrate ability to complete the essential functions of the job and tolerate the ergonomic stressors of the job. This includes lifting up to 40 pounds, standing, sitting, walking, bending, climbing stairs, kneeling, reaching overhead, pushing, and pulling for up to 8 to 12 hours daily.
- Core Business Hours
- 0-5% travel
- Office/Lab Environment
Equal Opportunity Employer
The policy of the Company is to ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender identity, gender expression, disability, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in any active or reserve component of the U.S. or state military forces, genetic history or information or any other category protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.