Corporate Counsel, Advertising/Marketing - OTC Drugs and CosmeticsRacine, Wisconsin Job ID 15385 Apply
Summary: This Corporate Counsel role is responsible for advising clients on the legal ramifications of various global advertising/labeling campaigns, marketing transactions and litigation matters related thereto. Prior experience defending advertising class actions and counseling in the laws and regulations of over-the-counter drugs and cosmetics preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Global review of advertising and communications materials to confirm compliance with applicable laws, company policy, and brand requirements.
- Defend advertising claims in NAD challenges or court cases, including class action litigation.
- Advise global marketing teams on social media issues, including disclosure requirements and endorsement guidelines.
- Analyze and advise clients on advertising claim substantiation requirements.
- Negotiate and draft promotion, licensing, confidentiality, entertainment, sponsorship, spokesperson, and other miscellaneous agreements related to the advertisement and marketing of the various company brands.
- Partner with the Global Public Affairs teams on press releases and consumer and media communications to confirm that they comply with legal requirements and company needs.
- Facilitate internal policy creation and implementation.
- Provide client education and training on relevant legal issues.
- Identify and assist in addressing global privacy and intellectual property issues.
- Identify and analyze legal issues to develop and effectively communicate sound, understandable legal and business recommendations to the appropriate business managers.
- Advise the business on the legal and regulatory requirements of global over-the-counter drug and cosmetic laws.
- Collaborate with cross-functional business teams to identify, evaluate, and resolve complex business issues, including managing third party disputes.
- Ensure compliance with applicable legal requirements and company policies.
- Lead business teams to create corporate policies, forms, and procedures.
- Partner with outside counsel to determine applicable legal and regulatory issues and creating appropriate solutions.
- Lead in-house seminars to clients relating to various issues.
- Collaborate with legal colleagues to support and ensure consistent messaging on similar legal issues across brands and business categories.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- JD degree and admitted to practice law in a US state and of good standing, along 8+ years of legal practice in a large law firm or as in-house counsel.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Experience in research and advise company personnel of the regulatory and legal requirements of US and global Food, Drug (over the counter) and Cosmetic laws.
- Must exercise sound judgment, be able to work efficiently and independently under time pressures and deadlines in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Comfortable independently handling a wide variety of matters including novel issues in evolving areas of business and law.
- Ability to work confidently and collaboratively toward effective and harmonious interactions with other attorneys and with the company's technical and business personnel.
- Outstanding analytical, consulting, drafting, and negotiation skills with the ability to make well-reasoned legal and business judgments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to negotiate contracts and settlements, and to influence or persuade others.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage projects or requests appropriately and effectively from several client groups.
- Strong leadership skills and results-orientation.
- Willingness to learn new areas of law, acquire new skills, and take on additional and/or new responsibilities within the Law Department as needed.
- Full time Monday-Friday core office hours in Racine, Wisconsin
- Business travel as necessary
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.