Corporate Counsel, Advertising/Marketing/PrivacyRacine, Wisconsin Job ID 15385 Apply
This Corporate Counsel is responsible for advising clients on the legal ramifications of various global advertising/labeling campaigns, marketing transactions and litigation matters related thereto, and supporting privacy compliance matters globally. Prior experience defending advertising class actions and counseling in the laws and regulations of over-the-counter drugs and cosmetics preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Global review of advertising and communications materials to confirm compliance with applicable laws, company policy, and brand requirements.
- Conduct privacy assessments of business initiatives, including marketing programs, data partnerships and vendor relationships, and manage privacy compliance documentation and records.
- Defend advertising claims in NAD challenges or court cases, including class action litigation.
- Advise global marketing teams on social media issues, including disclosure requirements and endorsement guidelines.
- Analyze and advise clients on advertising claim substantiation requirements.
- Negotiate and draft promotion, licensing, confidentiality, entertainment, sponsorship, spokesperson, and other miscellaneous agreements related to the advertisement and marketing of the various company brands.
- Assist in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating data privacy provisions in commercial contracts.
- Facilitate internal policy creation, update, and implementation, including assist in maintaining privacy policies and procedures.
- Provide client seminars, education, and training on relevant legal issues, including providing training to employees on privacy-related obligations.
- Identify and assist in addressing global privacy and intellectual property issues.
- Identify and analyze legal issues in collaboration with legal colleagues to develop and effectively communicate sound, understandable legal and business recommendations to the appropriate business managers, ensuring consistent messaging on similar legal issues across brands and business categories.
- Advise the business on the legal and regulatory requirements of global over-the-counter drug and cosmetic laws.
- Collaborate with cross-functional business teams to identify, evaluate, and resolve complex business issues, including managing third party disputes.
- Ensure compliance with applicable legal requirements and company policies.
- Partner with outside counsel to determine applicable legal and regulatory issues and creating appropriate solutions.
- Act as primary legal contact for all M&A due diligence and integration, partnering with multiple stakeholders across HR, Finance, and the business.
- Partners in due diligence to understand the target company’s practices. Manages resolution of issues and risks, proactively identifying potential planning gaps, risk mitigations, and actions to close issues
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- JD degree and admitted to practice law in a US state and of good standing, along with 7 years of legal practice in a large law firm or as in-house counsel (internships and summer associate time will be considered)
- Experience with applicable federal and state marketing and advertising laws and regulations, and experience with advertising self-regulatory bodies
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Experience in research and advising company personnel of the regulatory and legal requirements of US and global Food, Drug (over the counter) and Cosmetic law
- Experience on privacy and data protection issues, including familiarity with privacy laws in the U.S., Canada, and Europe
- Must exercise sound judgment, be able to work efficiently and independently under time pressures and deadlines in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Comfortable independently handling a wide variety of matters including novel issues in evolving areas of business and law
- Ability to work confidently and collaboratively toward effective and harmonious interactions with other attorneys and with the company's technical and business personnel
- Outstanding analytical, consulting, drafting, and negotiation skills with the ability to make well-reasoned legal and business judgment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to negotiate contracts and settlements, and to influence or persuade others
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage projects or requests appropriately and effectively from several client groups
- Strong leadership skills and results-orientation
- Willingness to learn new areas of law, acquire new skills, and take on additional
- Full time Monday-Friday Core Office hours
- Business travel as necessary
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.