Manager, Federal/Domestic Tax (State Tax Manager)Racine, Wisconsin Job ID 20911 Apply
Summary: This position administers the state and local tax affairs of the company and its US subsidiaries and partnerships in a manner which minimizes the tax burden while complying with existing tax laws. Responsible for development, management and execution of state and local tax strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Manager, Federal/Domestic Tax (State Tax Manager) is responsible for all state income and franchise tax matters, including but not limited to:
- Prepare and timely file accurate income and franchise returns and amended returns as required by state and local taxing jurisdictions in which the company transacts business.
- Proactively identify state treatment of federal items and other adjustments.
- Gather and maintain appropriate records to support positions.
- Identify, recommend and implement tax saving ideas where and when appropriate to minimize tax liabilities while satisfying compliance requirements.
- Research technical merits of state tax positions given current and proposed state tax legislation, communicate conclusions to senior leadership and document positions.
- Calculate and file estimates and extensions. Make payments.
- Manage a calendar of filing dates and responsibilities.
- Prepare state tax provision calculations and support for financial reporting, including return to provision, deferred state taxes, NOL and credit carryforward tracking and state tax reserve analysis.
- Manage all state and local inquiries and audits. Respond to IDRs, formulate settlement strategies and lead discussions with tax authorities. Develop and maintain positive relationships with state authorities. Regularly report on audit issues and status to senior leadership.
- Tax planning and research for current operations, expansions into non-nexus states, acquisitions of new businesses, or divestiture of existing operations, while maintaining alignment with overall business goals and plans in pursuit of minimizing state tax burden.
- Monitor, analyze and communicate relevant state legislative/regulatory and litigation developments to senior management.
- Provide state tax guidance to the business based on an analysis of proposed and enacted state law changes, changes in business activity and company-wide initiatives. Make contacts and monitor business activities for potential state tax impacts.
- Effectively and proactively partner with other members of the Tax Department, the business and outside advisors.
- Obtain and manage relationships with outside counsel and/or other professional service providers as needed to assist in planning, audit, and legislative changes/developments.
- Develop and/or improve Corptax expertise. Leverage Corptax to complete calculations needed for compliance and planning purposes, based on best practices with the goal of increasing efficiency and maximizing use of Corptax.
- Manage the property tax outsourcing relationship, including gathering and providing relevant data on a timely basis and assisting in the processing of payments. Manage property tax assessments and appeals. Prepare property tax budgets. Advise the business on property tax matters.
- Continuously identify and implement process improvements in all work. Leverage tax technology tools and other systems to automate procedures and identify and implement opportunities for efficiency and increased accuracy.
- Manage special tax projects and research including but not limited to the preparation of portions of federal income tax return and federal adjustments for fiscal year end provision as assigned.
- Participate in M&A diligence by evaluating state income tax risks and exposures, as assigned.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships and proactively partner with other members of the Tax Department, business, Treasury, legal and accounting teams.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance and a minimum of 7 years of state income tax or other relevant experience at a big 4 public accounting firm or large corporation managing complex compliance.
- ASC 740 Accounting for Income Taxes experience preferred but not required.
- Microsoft Office required. SAP, Corptax, Alteryx and/or Tableau experience preferred but not required.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- An advanced degree and/or certification as a Certified Public Accountant strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical skills and strong organizational skills for multi-tasking.
- Self motivated and able to work independently.
- Ability to meet competing deadlines and complete responsibilities with quality and on time.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to foster relationships and work in and contribute to a collaborative team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for both tax and general business audience.
- Full-time. Overtime is expected at certain times, including but not limited to year-end close, tax return filing season and when working on time-sensitive projects.
- Minimal domestic travel, primarily to attend seminars, users’ groups, or meet with subsidiary personnel.
- Professional office environment.
Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice as assigned by the Manager. The job description does not constitute a contract of employment and the position remains at-will.
At SC Johnson, we strive to create a positive, inclusive and unique workplace. We strongly believe SCJ people are able to achieve their best when they can collaborate and work together in person.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The policy of the Company is to ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender identity, gender expression, disability, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in any active or reserve component of the U.S. or state military forces, genetic history or information or any other category protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.