Manager, Global People Safety & Health (SHE)Racine, Wisconsin Job ID 16518 Apply
The role of the Manager of Global People Safety & Health is to develop and deploy global enterprise-wide strategies, policies, metrics, and standards designed to deliver the workplace safety & health of all persons working for or at SC Johnson. This role provides oversight to the larger SHE Community of Practice and organization by assessing compliance to these policies and standards, developing a 5-year strategy, and through coaching, help drive continuous improvement to deliver the strategy. The function is to ensure that SHE plans, aligned with the enterprise SHE strategy, have been developed and that good efforts are being made to effectively and efficiently implement the plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- This role is responsible for collaborating and partnering with the SHE functions within the 3 BU’s (Global Consumer Brands, Lifestyle Brands, Professional) to ensure compliance to standards, drive implementation of corporate policies and continuously integrate feedback to meet local needs.
- Create a common approach and consistency in implementing a safe workplace approach across all SCJ Business Units.
- This position will report directly to the Sr. Director of Global Safety. Health, & Environment
- The Manager will address both technical and leadership skills as core requirements for team development and will provide assistance for teams and team members as they seek to absorb change and strive for Continuous Business Improvement.
- This role will span across all Business Units and their respective SCJ sites, SCJ administrative offices and labs and all warehouses where there are SCJ employees.
- Support for contract manufacturers will be limited to audit and if required by contract or agreement.
- Provides leadership in the safety & health (SH) area by establishing a clear and compelling SH vision, strategy, metrics, and work plan aligned with the overall organizational strategy.
- Works with business leadership to integrate SH into the business’ Way of Working and to deliver value by eliminating incidents and losses.
- Serves as organizational SH thought leader who actively engages and leads the SH Community of Practice, and provides technical guidance and support to SHE professionals in each of the regional SCJ facilities across all business units
- Monitors SH results to identify trends and to drive SH continuous improvement. Works with each Business Unit to develop and deploy plans to reduce Total Incident Rate (TIR) in accordance with the agreed “glidepath” for each plant.
- Serve as the process owner of employee Safety, health, and behavior-based programs
- Coach Plant managers, production supervisors, leaders to help broaden the culture of safety in their own organizations
- Develops (based upon external best practices and tailored to our performance excellence aspirations and needs) a comprehensive and effective Safety & Health Management System and process. This includes:
- Teach and mentor Plant managers, production supervisors, leaders to broaden and strengthen the culture of safety in their own organizations
- Codify and share SH learning and leading practices throughout the network thereby promoting replication of successes.
- Serve as guardian of the SH playbook including processes, procedures, approaches and tools for implementation
- Embed safety mindset into the plant Lean pillars, co-partnering with pillar owners to strengthen the safety culture and transform from management to employee-led safety programs.
- Support site implementation of leading SH practices.
- Manage the people safety processes by:
- Coordinating with Regional and Site management and other functions
- Planning deployment based on priorities and tracking progress
- Measuring results based on impact, beyond skill development taking it to the effective application
- Serve as Project Management for Global Safety & Health Governance by:
- Providing tools to consolidate all requested SHE metrics into one single regional & business unit scorecard
- Analyzing and tracking journey map performance for all sites.
- 7+ years of Safety, Health & environmental (SHE) experience (preferably in multiple global manufacturing locations within the CPG industry, chemical industry, or food or drug industry)
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Engineering, Environmental, Safety, or Industrial Hygiene). Master’s degree preferred
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Exhibit a high degree of initiative and be self-motivated
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills and team building skills
- Display strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to deal with adversity and make the best of any situation
- Demonstrate an ability to be consistent, fair and honest
- Able to build an understanding of changing business and technical needs of each area
- Global network experience – Proven experience working across the manufacturing network desirable intercultural outside one single region
- Influencing – Can effectively garner support from others and influence across a broad spectrum of people
- Able to operate effectively in a matrix organization by engaging and strategically influencing others. Will need to influence and lead networks of professionals who are not direct reports
- Technical – Has strong technical background, solid Project Management skills and mastery of the Training & Development process
- Manufacturing Experience – Has a track record of success at the front-line management level
- Full-time with expectation to be available for calls & meetings across time zones
- Variable global travel required, estimated to average 5-10% annually
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.