Manager, Sustainability (Packaging)Racine, Wisconsin Job ID 20916 Apply
To lead the development of the company’s packaging/plastic sustainability strategies. Provide governance and reporting for KPIs (both internal and external), ensuring visibility to progress and glidepaths to meet plastic/packaging targets. Act as SCJ’s plastic sustainability expert, continuing to improve/expand subject matter knowledge and share with business units to support achievement of plastic sustainability KPIs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead development of the company’s packaging/plastic sustainability strategies and KPIs (including PCR, Ocean Bound, Red List, Recyclable / Reusable / Compostable, and Reduction of Virgin Plastic)
- Lead internal plastics governance and reporting, providing visibility to progress vs. goals and managing definition/exception processes.
- Lead external plastic reporting, with specific responsibility for annual EMF data reporting and narrative.
- Provide subject matter expertise for plastic related sustainability topics, including providing updates to the executive leadership, facilitating sustainability updates with business unit leadership and category RDE teams, consulting as needed to share knowledge, and developing/deploying training to advance corporate plastic sustainability knowledge
- Work with the Product Sustainability Director to develop long term (5-10 year) strategy, to define new areas of focus in plastics/recycling, and to understand emerging technologies/materials that could improve packaging environmental profiles.
- Ensure that SCJ is at the forefront of any related emerging trade, industry, NGO, and consumer issues related to plastics and packaging. Proactively bring issues, concerns and recommended actions to key stakeholders.
- Attend relevant conferences and seminars. Share key learnings and trade/supplier connections with leadership and a broader audience of key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Demonstrated business acumen and strategic thinking skills. Translating high level strategies into tangible business objectives and clear directions for the organization
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to influence and collaborate effectively with co-workers who are not direct reports.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate accurately and concisely to all levels within the company.
- Team player who can consult with others to share knowledge and direction related to plastic sustainability to enable achievement of objectives beyond the immediate responsibilities of this role.
- Complex problem analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Proven track record of forming successful internal and external partnerships to drive business results.
- Proven program and project management skills.
- Ability to understand and integrate technical information into business decisions
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Minimum 7 years of CPG experience with exposure to different functions
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environmental Studies, or other technically relevant Bachelor of Science degree
- Experience working in the area of Sustainability
- Experience of leading complex and cross functional initiatives with a global scope
- Proven track record in delivering commitments with significant impact to key business metrics and initiatives
- Ability to influence at various levels in the organization
- Strong collaboration and communications skills
- Drive for Results, Decision Quality, Courage, and Interpersonal Savvy
- Systems thinking, risk analysis, and contingency planning
- Full time Monday-Friday Core Office hours
- Business travel as necessary
- Salary Grade K
- Remote work is available once a week for eligible employees
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States
At SC Johnson, we strive to create a positive, inclusive and unique workplace. We strongly believe SCJ people are able to achieve their best when they can collaborate and work together in person.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The policy of the Company is to ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender identity, gender expression, disability, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in any active or reserve component of the U.S. or state military forces, genetic history or information or any other category protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.