Principal, Skin Science FormulatorRacine, Wisconsin Job ID 14128 Apply
As the Principal, Skin Science Formulator you will be responsible for leading & guiding technical teams on the development of product formulations designed with superior on-skin performance. As you lead and guide you will also be responsible for the development of a technology roadmap, implementation of advanced laboratory capabilities, new formulation development, development of intellectual property, and external partner, vendor and university engagement.
SC Johnson is a fifth-generation family company built on a spirit of adventure and winning the right way. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building top brands such as Raid®, Glade®, Kiwi®, OFF!®, Windex®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country. Through these household names, we are making a positive difference to the world around us. But we only succeed with the combined vitality and strength of our 13,000 people who we truly value and support in their pursuit of individual and shared goals.
SC Johnson’s total compensation packages are at or above industry levels. In addition to salary, total packages may include bonuses, long-term incentives, matching 401(k) contributions and profit sharing based on company profitability, job level and years of service. As a family company, we’re committed to providing benefits such as subsidized health care plans, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, flexible work arrangements, vacation purchase options, recreation and fitness centers, childcare, counseling services and more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Skin Science Technology Steward
- Drive development of skin science technology roadmap for technical and skin benefit ingredient advancements in formulation
- Drive development of appropriate methods (sensory and/or lab) to evaluate the performance of our product on skin (e.g. skin feel, evaporation, dermal absorption, irritancy) leading to compelling consumer claims.
- Engage with governmental and trade associations to stay on top of latest regulatory and technical advancements for on-skin products
- Influence and collaborate effectively with co-workers and external partners to advance SC Johnson’s Skin Science capabilities
- Develop ingredient and formulation documentation to be utilized along with current exposure models to develop a risk assessment for final determination of approval.
- Coordinate formulation team activities to develop and deliver new skin science formulations and technologies to be applied to a global portfolio.
- Act as technical lead for select skin-focused NPD formulation projects, ensuring appropriate rigor, assessing technical risk, and managing key development milestones and project budgets meeting the end-to-end technical project deliverables.
- Coach and mentor technical team on skin science technology
- Guide quality and specification processes for performance aspects of products
- Accountability for driving decisions consistent with current SC Johnson’s stage gate processes and/or industry standards.
Cross-Category Formulation Expert
- Serve as member of Formulator Community of Practice (COP). Actively engage with COP to advance skin science infrastructure and knowledge across businesses.
- Serve as a technical review advisor across categories
- Drive Skin Science technology and participate in leadership of Skin Science COP across business units and external partnerships
REQUIRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE / COMPETENCIES
- Masters Degree in Cosmetic science, Pharmaceutical Formulation, Chemistry or Biology and a minimum of 10 years of experience in an on-skin personal care product industry (e.g. pharmaceutical, cosmetics, beauty, suncare) or PhD degree with at least 7 of experience
- Minimum of 5 years technical experience in an on-skin personal care industry. Leading edge knowledge of skin care trends, ingredients, and laboratory methodologies to characterize skin performance
PREFERRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE / COMPETENCIES
- Understanding of the functional properties, proper use, and the environmental impact of common skin care ingredients
- Scientific aptitude & curiosity, and the ability to solve technical problems related to formulation
- Provide innovative ideas and knowledge with a high degree of integrity, speed, and a results-oriented approach
- Demonstrated track record of leading technical teams in developing and commercializing consumer-preferred solutions.
- Network of skin care industry connections to leverage and partner with for accelerated development
- Experience representing company, and demonstrated influence on internal and external industry groups and joint ventures
- Possess an understanding of regulatory processes (i.e., EPA registrations); experience
- Knowledge of the product development process and experience related to various formulation and delivery system technologies related to products (e.g., aerosol formulation, emulsion chemistry, gel formulation, polymer chemistry, reaction products, surfactants, solvents, builders)
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate accurately and concisely to multiple levels within the company
- Experience with formulating green and sustainable chemistries
- Background in skin barrier, permeation and dermal sensitivity studies
- Full time
- Up to 10% travel
- Ability to lift 10 – 40 pounds
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.