Principal, Toxicology - Global Registration and Regulatory ComplianceRacine, Wisconsin Job ID 14396 Apply
As the Principal, Toxicologist you will be responsible for developing and guiding technical teams on the toxicological elements of a project or products profile. Your responsibilities would include the review of raw materials and experimental product formulas, placement and monitoring of mammalian toxicology studies, human clinical studies, and the evaluation of study related and literature data to conduct toxicological risk assessments. In executing on these responsibilities, the toxicologist is accountable for documenting decisions in an appropriate manner consistent with current SC Johnson stage gate processes and/or industry standards. You will also be responsible for driving important corporate or industry initiatives to protect various business interests.
SC Johnson is a fifth-generation family company built on a spirit of adventure and winning the right way. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building top brands such as Raid®, Glade®, Kiwi®, OFF!®, Windex®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country. Through these household names, we are making a positive difference to the world around us. But we only succeed with the combined vitality and strength of our 13,000 people who we truly value and support in their pursuit of individual and shared goals.
SC Johnson’s total compensation packages are at or above industry levels. In addition to salary, total packages may include bonuses, long-term incentives, matching 401(k) contributions and profit sharing based on company profitability, job level and years of service. As a family company, we’re committed to providing benefits such as subsidized health care plans, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, flexible work arrangements, vacation purchase options, recreation and fitness centers, childcare, counseling services and more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead review of experimental product formulas, consumer placement, large scale studies monitoring of in vivo, in vitro, and/or human clinical studies as required by regulations and/or company policy. This information and available literature are subsequently utilized along with current exposure models to develop a risk assessment for final determination of approval
- Support and execute substantiation for safety-related claims
- Lead innovation teams to understand risk profiles for non-traditional products concepts
- Lead issue management system, PR support, distilling scientific and complex subject matter into upper management communications
- Lead Litigation support as needed
- Drive governmental, Trade Association and Industry Task Force involvement
- Lead Emergency Response & Consumer Complaint Support
- Design and maintain key processes and procedures
- Train and mentor associate level staff
- Drive communications of project success criteria, key findings and decision to business counterparts for transparent global product launches
- Other tasks and duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE / COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s degree in Toxicology, Biology, Life Science or related field with at least 8 years of experience in product safety, risk assessment or regulatory safety OR a master’s degree in Toxicology, Biology, Life Science or Public Health with at least 6 years of this experience OR a PhD in Toxicology, Biology, Life Science with at least 6 years of experience in product safety, risk assessment, or regulatory safety.
PREFERRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE / COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated business acumen and strategic thinking skills. Translating high level strategies into tangible business objectives
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to influence and collaborate effectively with co-workers who are not direct reports
- Strong written and oral communication skills including strong formal presentation skills; ability to communicate accurately and concisely to all levels within the company
- Complex problem analysis and problem-solving skills
- Proven track record of forming successful internal and external partnerships to drive business results
- Ability to understand and integrate technical information into business decisions
- Experience with consumer product-related toxicology issues with preferred interest in experience related to pesticide raw materials and products
- Experience with critical evaluation of toxicological studies (in vivo and/or in vitro, and clinical tests)
- Experience with latest practices in risk assessment and computer-assisted exposure modeling
- Experience with alternative or in silico assessment approaches such as Quantitative Structure-Activity Relationships (QSAR) or Threshold for Toxicological Concern (TTC)
- Familiarity in CPSC, EPA FIFRA, and/or FDA regulations impacting toxicology support and subsequent knowledge to support toxicological assessments globally with preference in experience with government authorities that regulate pesticides
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment, including marketing, legal, public relations, R&D and government relations departments
- Strong understanding GLP & OECD requirements
- Toxicology laboratory and/or Study Liaison experience is a plus
- Past experience in representing company and demonstrated influence on external or internal industry task forces and joint ventures
- Full time
- 0-10% travel
- Ability to lift 10 – 40 pounds
SC Johnson & Son, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, ancestry, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.