Engineering and Maintenance ManagerRosslyn, South Africa Job ID 15126 Apply
ABOUT SC JOHNSON
SC Johnson is a fifth-generation family company built on a spirit of adventure and winning the right way. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building top brands such as Raid®, Glade®, Kiwi®, OFF!®, Windex®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country. Through these household names, we are making a positive difference to the world around us. But we only succeed with the combined vitality and strength of our 13,000 people who we truly value and support in their pursuit of individual and shared goals.
This position is responsible for providing enduring Maintenance & Engineering technical excellence for our Rosslyn plant.
You will have a leadership role with strong technical contributions to drive plant improvements. This position requires you to have strong initiative to identify opportunities to improve equipment efficiency and availability, to reduce equipment downtime, achieve engineering standardization and implement Best Practice.
As well as this you will oversee and manage the planning and execution of an effective maintenance program for the site. As part of the engineering function you will authorize the planning of work, plant, materials and machinery as well as coordinate the maintenance in the manufacturing and engineering environment. Managing and supervising chargehands and artisans in the various disciplines, such as electrical and mechanical sections. This position is also responsible for effective management and control of the Maintenance and Engineering budgets to meet the business needs.
If you like to work in a multicultural, FMCG organization and you are passionate about Engineering and have a clear understanding of design and specification for equipment then we’d like to hear from you!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures root cause analysis / break down analysis is completed for machine failures and uses this information to improve the preventative / predictive maintenance plans.
- Ensures that the “operator based” autonomous maintenance activities are tightly integrated with the broader planned preventative / predictive maintenance programme.
- Coordinate technical input from the Maintenance Team to assist the Production Team Leaders / Productivity Engineers to create, improve and sustain the standard of the autonomous maintenance tasks completed by the operators.
- Hold daily shift Huddles with maintenance team.
- Tracking of maintenance KPIs (including but not limited to unplanned down time and mean time between failures of equipment)
- Provide detailed job plans for maintenance works orders that ensure safe and efficient execution of all maintenance jobs.
- Leads the weekly “commitment meeting” to ensure alignment between production, engineering, and maintenance teams on the priorities and work content for the following week, the availability of necessary downtime, resources, and materials.
- Ensure work notifications (tags) raised by operators (and other plant personnel) are correctly prioritised in accordance with the established policy.
- Monitoring routine maintenance backlog and works with the maintenance team to rectify.
- Ensures equipment history and breakdown (reactive) work orders are maintained in the system so that emerging trends can be analysed as an additional source of improving maintenance plans.
- Training of line crews in the use of Plant maintenance module system.
- Responsible for the effective maintenance of all machinery, buildings, utilities and site-critical equipment by managing an effective, preventative and planned maintenance program to ensure the best utilisation and output of all these company assets.
- Compiling, presenting and controlling all engineering and maintenance budgets, to deliver the business needs and desired results.
- The research, planning and investigating, feasibility studies and budget compiling of all replacement and new capital by evaluating fixed replacement plans or the feasibility of new capital to ensure that all capital is executed cost effectively and technically correct. This includes asset care and management of the asset life cycle to achieve the most out of capital investments.
- Ensuring that all projects are executed according to the project plan, within the time constraint and that all contractors are managed and controlled effectively.
- Ensure that all legal requirements are met specifically regarding the use of hazardous machinery.
- Engineering and maintenance reports to ensure effective reporting to maximise availability and Downtime Report to minimise down time.
- Seek and implement cost saving opportunities as needed to drive cost performance objectives.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Engineering degree with at least 5 years’ experience in managing maintenance, engineering and technical professionals / teams.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering with knowledge of electrical and electronic installations will be preferable
- Government Competency Certificate (GCC)
- Exposure to Aerosol or LPG handling, filling and maintenance operations will be an added advantage
- Good project management skills specifically in Engineering projects
- Strong experience of building cross functional relationships
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Project Management - Develops project plans and communicates changes and progress. Completes projects on time and within budget.
- Communication - Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities which fosters group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Visionary Leadership - Inspires and motivates others to perform effectively in a dynamic environment.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; aligns work with strategic goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities, sets goals and objectives.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking, creativity and resourcefulness which generate innovative approaches and ideas.
Together, we are creating a better future – for the planet, for future generations and for every SCJ team member. Come join us and make an impact through iconic global brands. GO FURTHER WITH OUR FAMILY™
You need to be legally eligible to work in the country of application.