SHE ManagerAmsterdam, Netherlands Job ID 12480 Apply
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson, a family company for the last 130 years, is one of the world’s leading makers of household brands. The company has operations in more than 70 countries and sells products in virtually every country around the world. We employ approximately 13,000 people globally and generate $10 billion in sales. SCJ’s product portfolio includes global brands such as Pledge®, Duck®, Mr. Muscle®, Windex®, Scrubbing Bubbles®, Glade®, Raid®, OFF!®, Baygon® and Ziploc®.
At the same time, we’ve established a generations-long legacy of environmental responsibility, community leadership and providing great places to work. We do this because we want to do what’s right for our business today, and also what’s right for people and the planet tomorrow.
The Europlant SHE manager leads deployment of SC Johnson’s Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) management practices to ensure compliance with local legal requirements and SCJ global standards. The SHE manager is experienced in seeing the big picture to align SC Johnson’s overall safety, health and environmental strategies with site-level targets and objectives. This individual will ensure that plant teams know the right things to be working on (or not working on) based on this alignment. While this role requires, safety, health and environmental technical knowledge and experience, success is equally dependent on developing and supporting “champions” within the site to drive day-to-day ownership for SHE. This position is part of a matrix organization and involves frequent interaction with global and regional supply chain leaders to review progress on established objectives and review opportunities for continued success.
- Supervises the site SHE team and provides coaching and mentoring to strengthen competencies associated with functional skills and SCJ leadership success drivers.
- Collaborates with the site management team to deploy activities-based goals for managers and supervisors to support achievement of site-specific targets and objectives.
- Manages deployment of SHE compliance assurance, such as compliance calendars, processes to achieve and maintain compliance with applicable laws, permit authorizations and company standards.
- Manages internal audit systems, including behavior observation processes, that proactively identify potential SHE non-conformances.
- Drives timely, effective closure of internal and external SHE audit findings.
- Collaborates with the site’s engineering and maintenance teams to ensure that inspections, testing, preventive maintenance activities associated with SHE-critical processes are defined and appropriately documented.
- Manages the post incident investigation and communication of safety, health and environmental incidents and ensures that corrective and preventive actions that address root causes are effectively deployed across the site.
- Leads the development and maintenance of training processes to ensure that required safety, health and environmental training for the site is defined, addresses required content and is tracked to completion.
- Coordinates utilization of the SCJ management of change process to evaluate and control potential health and safety hazards and environmental impacts associated with business activity changes.
- Verifies the accuracy of data in the company’s SHE database and analyzes the data to identify sub-standard performance and loss trends to address the underlying factors that contribute to injuries and illnesses, adverse environmental impacts and SHE process non-conformances.
- Leads the deployment of employee-led environmental, health and safety teams and facilitates their engagement in ownership of the activities required to maintain compliance, reduce the site’s environmental footprint and drive continuous improvement.
- Collaborates with Human Resources to effectively manage injury and illness claims and return-to-work programs.
- Maintains awareness of proposed governmental or non-governmental organization SHE requirements and provides early input to other Company functions of impending requirements in such a way that necessary changes are planned accordingly.
Required Skills and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree from an academic university in Occupational Safety, Environmental Science, Engineering or related discipline
- 7-10 years of progressively increasing SHE leadership responsibility in a global manufacturing organization
- Experience managing activities associated with the European Seveso Directive
- Experience in driving day-to-day ownership of SHE processes to non-SHE program “champions”
- Fluent English is required and fluent Dutch is strongly preferred due to the language skills of local team members
- Advanced degree Occupational Safety, Environmental Science or related discipline preferred
- Experience in government relations and guiding organizations within a matrix structure
- Ability to interact with others, establishing open, candid and trusting relationships to create win/win outcomes
- Effective communication skills that permit the clear and concise transfer of information to stakeholders
- Project management experience to enable prioritization and management of multiple projects to completion
- Ability to influence decisions based on providing appropriate fact-based rationale