Director - Safety, Health and Environmental – North AmericaChicago, Illinois Job ID 21978 Apply
The North American Safety, Health and Environmental Director leads deployment of SC Johnson’s Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) management practices for the company’s manufacturing sites located in the United States and Canada to ensure compliance with local legal requirements and SCJ global standards. The North American SHE director is experienced in seeing the big picture to align SC Johnson’s overall safety, health and environmental strategies with site-level targets and objectives. This individual will ensure that plant teams know the right things to be working on (or not working on) based on this alignment. While this role requires safety, health and environmental technical knowledge and experience, success is equally dependent on developing and supporting “champions” at sites within the region to drive day-to-day ownership for SHE. This position is part of a matrix organization and involves frequent interaction with global and regional supply chain leaders to review progress on established objectives and review opportunities for continued success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strengthens the safety culture by collaborating with regional stakeholders to transform management-led safety processes into management supported, employee-led safety processes.
- Supervises regional and site SHE professionals within the assigned region and provides training and mentoring to strengthen competencies associated with SHE functional skills – including safety, industrial hygiene, environmental management, and fire protection – and SCJ leadership success drivers.
- Reviews all internal and external SHE compliance-related findings for the region and ensures that corrective actions addressing the underlying causes of the finding are defined, tracked to completion via the company’s SHE database, and verified as effectively closed.
- Manages deployment of SHE compliance assurance processes for the region, such as compliance calendars and preventive maintenance schedules, to achieve and maintain compliance with applicable laws, permit authorizations and company standards.
- Collaborates with the regional supply chain leadership team to create annual, site-specific targets and objectives to measurably reduce exposure to the to the site’s most significant safety and health risks and environmental impacts.
- Provides technical support – such as process hazard analyses, machine safeguarding assessments and ergonomic evaluations – to assigned sites to ensure compliance with regulatory and company standards.
- Leads the post incident review and communication of significant safety, health and environmental incidents and ensures that corrective and preventive actions that address the root causes are effectively deployed across the region.
- Verifies the accuracy of data in the company’s SHE database and analyzes the data to identify sub-standard performance and loss trends to address the underlying factors that contribute to injuries and illnesses, adverse environmental impacts and SHE process non-conformances.
- Manages maintenance of the ISO 14001 group certification for SCJ’s North American manufacturing sites.
- Maintains awareness of proposed governmental or non-governmental organization SHE requirements and provides early input to other Company functions of impending requirements in such a way that necessary changes are planned accordingly.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Fire Protection, Environmental Science or related discipline
- 10+ years of progressively increasing SHE leadership responsibility in a global manufacturing organization
- Experience managing activities associated with OSHA’s process safety management standard, the European Seveso Directive or equivalent country-specific requirements intended to prevent the uncontrolled release of hazardous substances
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Advanced degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Fire Protection, Environmental Science, Engineering or related discipline preferred
- Designation as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) or country equivalent preferred
- Ability to effectively interact with others, establishing open, candid and trusting relationships to create win/win outcomes
- Effective verbal and written communication skills that permit the clear and concise transfer of information to stakeholders
- Project management experience to enable prioritization and management of multiple projects to completion
- Knowledge of current safety and health technologies and processes such as ergonomics risk assessments, industrial hygiene exposure assessments, electrical arc flash hazard analyses and machine safety design principles
- Full-time core office hours with expectation to be available for meetings across time zones
- Up to 35% domestic and international travel required
At SC Johnson, we strive to create a positive, inclusive and unique workplace. We strongly believe SCJ people are able to achieve their best when they can collaborate and work together in person.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The policy of the Company is to ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender identity, gender expression, disability, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in any active or reserve component of the U.S. or state military forces, genetic history or information or any other category protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.