Manager, Toxicology (Personal Care)Racine, Wisconsin Job ID 23792 Apply
SC JOHNSON IS A FIFTH-GENERATION FAMILY COMPANY BUILT ON THE SPIRIT OF OUR PEOPLE. We have been leading with purpose for over 130 years, building iconic brands that win the hearts and minds of consumers – such as Raid®, Glade®, Ziploc® and more, in virtually every country around the world. Together, we are creating a better future – for the planet, for future generations and for every SCJ team member. Join our winning team of Wave Makers and Go Getters and help us write the next chapter in the SCJ story.
As the Toxicology Manager you are responsible for leading a team of both human and environmental toxicologists within Global Product Safety responsible for ensuring SCJ products are both safe for the consumer and the environment, as required by prescribed regulatory standards, and internal corporate requirements. Your primary roles of this position are (1) to lead, manage and conduct product safety assessments upon a wide portfolio of consumer products, (2) to ensure that SCJ effectively and expediently identifies and manages changing scientific information, regulatory requirements, and customer demands related to product safety and (3) to provide leadership related to the prioritization and support of critical emerging issues that carry potential to impact the SCJ business including scientific support of Greenlist. You are responsible for managing up to 6 direct reports that interface with colleagues within RD&E & Global and Regional Marketing to support various project teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead team of up to 6 direct reports in all aspects of human and environmental product safety for the benefit of the business
- Coach and mentor team to:
- Deliver product risk assessments for both human health and environmental safety in support of our global Business categories.
- Deliver product safety reviews for formulas, raw materials and human testing in accordance with established procedures and ensure timelines are met.
- Work constructively and proactively to resolve any issues through collaborative problem solving with other regulatory & product safety stakeholders.
- Ensure necessary product safety data requirements are available and communicated to internal project management group.
- Proactively provide emerging regulatory and strategic science direction as well as execution and support to many internal functions including SCJ business categories, Legal, Public Relations, Government Relations, Product Development, Global Registration and Regulatory Affairs and Sustainability.
- Engage trade associations and working groups to support science-based business activities
- Defend key ingredients to regulatory authorities and public interest groups
- Lead the development of technical solutions & options to mitigate potential risks to RD&E Project Teams and where appropriate escalate.
- Manage and oversee the team’s Product Safety budget.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Advanced degree in Toxicology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry (or closely related field) and a minimum of 5 years of direct/relevant experience in Product Safety.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Previous people management experience along proven with cross-functional team leadership
- Product safety experience in registered and non-registered products across various consumer product goods/household product categories.
- Proven situational leadership skills & ability to forge strong relationships with colleagues
- Skills to work cohesively & constructively as a Global Product Safety Department.
- Experience in product safety & regulation of pesticides / personal care / cosmetics and/or veterinary toxicology would be advantageous along with experience in European Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR).
- Ability to distill and summarize technically complex issues into practical solutions & actions in a clear and articulate fashion to a wide range of stakeholders both within and outside of the Global Product Safety Department
- Working knowledge of safety and regulatory policies, procedures and processes.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate within and across functional/department lines.
- Proven capability to build strong relationships inside and outside the company.
- Desired Leadership Attributes:
- Results Driven
- High ethical standards and sound technical judgment.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Curiosity and learning mindset
- Full Time
- Travel Time expected: <10%
- Remote work is available once a week for eligible employees
SC Johnson’s total compensation packages are at or above industry levels. In addition to salary, total packages may include bonuses, long-term incentives, matching 401(k) contributions and profit sharing based on company profitability, job level and years of service. As a family company, we’re committed to providing benefits such as subsidized health care plans, maternity/paternity/adoption leave, flexible work arrangements, vacation purchase options, recreation and fitness centers, childcare, counseling services and more.
At SC Johnson, we strive to create a positive, inclusive and unique workplace. We strongly believe SCJ people are able to achieve their best when they can collaborate and work together in person.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The policy of the Company is to ensure equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender identity, gender expression, disability, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in any active or reserve component of the U.S. or state military forces, genetic history or information or any other category protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 262-260-3343 or email your request to SCJHR@scj.com. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Download the EEO is the Law poster for more information.